Friday, August 26, 2011

How to Create a Storytelling Jar

how to create a storytelling jar

Storytelling is a popular pastime in our house.  We tell stories in the car, at the dinner table, at bedtime and any other time that takes our fancy.


To keep our storytelling fun and fresh I created the storytelling jar!


Using a lovely shaped jar that I found at an op-shop, I filled it with lots of brightly coloured notes. On each note there is a word or a short statement. Some examples include going to the playground, bananas, helicopters, rainy day, on the farm, and monkeys!


A storytelling jar

We take turns to select a note and then make up a story about the concept we find on it. The jar was a big hit, not only with my 3 year old but my husband as well! 


The jar is located on bench near the breakfast bar and while I'm making lunches in the morning or cooking dinner in the evening the kids sit at the breakfast bar and we tell each other stories.  


Other ways to start the storytelling fun is through the use of props, like toys as characters or you could try story stones like those made by My Little Bookcase


Storytelling is a rich experience for children that benefits their literacy skill development.  It is a wonderful activity to help improve vocabulary and language skills as well as develop the art of conversation. When children tell stories they are learning to use their imagination as well as understand the structure of stories, including setting the scene, sequences of events and incorporating a variety of characters.  Most of all, it's fun!


How do you and your children tell stories at your house?

If you enjoyed this post, keep updated via our monthly newsletter or social media:

5 comments:

  1. what a fun idea. My girls LOVE telling stories but this would be a great exercise in creativity since they have some sort of prompt. I really like this idea. This would be fun in the classroom too.

    Thanks for sharing on the Sunday Showcase. Looking forward to seeing what you have to share this week.

    Bern
    http://momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com/search/label/Sunday%20Showcase

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bernadette! Our jar is still getting heaps of use and we are adding new ideas to it all the time. It has certainly been a wonderful prompt for some very interesting stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a gorgeous idea! i found your blog via a search I did for storytelling stones - I ended up at teachpreschoolorg and that had a link here. What a brilliant discovery for me! I'm heading back to work as an early childhood teacher at a private centre this week (after almost four years off, looking after my two young sons) and I have been given the task of exploring storytelling/creative writing with the kids. I'm excited but even more excited after seeing your idea. I hope you don't mind if I use this Storytelling Jar idea?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome and thank you for dropping by! I am so glad you like the idea. We have so much fun with it and it is still popular, with tonight's choice being Pirates! Good luck returning to work this week, and I hope the storytelling jar is as much fun for you as it is for us. I will be starting a regular storytelling feature shortly so hopefully more fun ideas to come!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea because when people get together there seems to be a lot of questions asked that others do not want to answer.  So spending the time telling stories does away with questions and turns it into fun.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...