Friday, February 1, 2013

1001: The Story of the Little Mole


I can't believe that it has been over 2 months since my last update on the progress for my 1001 Children's Books to Read Before You Grow Up Project (oops!). December was a very busy month for us and I started January with the best intentions but got distracted by school holiday fun with the kids.


My lack of blogging, however, does not mean that I haven't been busy reading for my Project. Since my last update I have managed to read 15 more books, which brings me to a total of 101 books read! Only 900 to go!

One of our favourite books that we have read over the past 2 months is a picture book called Story of the Little Mole Who Knew It Was None of His Businessby Werner Holzwarth and illustrated by Wolf Erlbruch. 



One fine day, little Mole poked his head out from underground and then something long and sausage like lands on his head! Yuck! Who could have done such a thing? Our unfortunate shortsighted Mole begins his quest to find out who has pooped on his head.

His search for the culprit leads him to ask a variety of different animals he comes across if they are responsible for the deed. The animals prove their innocence by showing him that their poo is nothing like the one on his head!
And plippety plop- a pile of toffee-coloured little balls tumbled on the grass. The little mole found them almost appealing.
Finally a pair of big flies, who are, of course, poo experts, help him discover who did it and he is able to get a little revenge on the culprit. 

This is a somewhat controversial topic, but if your kids like toilet humour, then this book is definitely for them. We are currently toilet training my daughter, so most of our conversations lately revolve around poo, and so do the books we have been reading, making this book perfect for us! James thought it was hilarious (and what 5 year old boy wouldn't?)

Book Details:
Title: The Story of the Little Mole Who Knew it Was None of His Business (original German title: Vom kleinen Maulwurf, der wissen wolte, wer ihm auf den Kopf gemacht hat)
Author: Werner Holzwarth
Illustrator: Wolf Erlbruch
Publisher: Harper Collins (1996)
Age Group: 3+

You can follow along with my reading progress for this project via my Good Reads profile.

1 comment:

  1. One of my favourites. Have used it to start an inquiry unit into animals and the food they eat - herbivores, carnivores and omnivores. Kids loved it - in a revolting way :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...